Tuesday 19 March 2013

Takin' it to the streets

Since starting the Couch to 5K running program a month ago I have been not-so-patiently waiting for warmer weather and the snow to melt so that I can take my running skills from the treadmill to the great outdoors.  I swear, on every one of my designated running days Mother Nature has simply not co-operated with my plans.

Therefore, it was no surprise this morning when I woke up to see snow falling from the sky AGAIN.  But I checked the temperature and it was a mild 0°C, so I said "screw the snow" and laced up my outdoor runners.

I mapped out my run to match the 5 km I've been logging on the treadmill each session (I don't exactly follow the Couch to 5K plan... I do the "prescribed" part, and then continue to walk/run til I complete 5 km - gotta earn my Weight Watchers Activity Points somehow!).  Surprisingly, my time came in close to my usual time on the treadmill, although it took me a couple of minutes longer than it should have because I had to tiptoe through the first and last 0.5 km of my route.  The road my house is on is VERY icy.  I think what saved me is all the core strengthening I've been doing - everytime I'd hit a patch of ice and feel myself start to slide, my abs would immediately contract and keep me upright!

But it felt so good to be outside breathing in fresh air.  Final verdict?  Outdoor running kicks treadmill running's butt any day, even while being forced to step carefully on ice and through slush.  Hopefully the first day of spring tomorrow will finally bring some sunshine to melt all this nasty stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment